Managing Associate – Allens
Valeska specialises in the procurement and development of large-scale ICT platforms and telecommunications projects, as well as new media and traditional media transactions. She also advises clients on big data management, data protection and privacy and cyber security breaches. Valeska is a founding member of the Allens Accelerate startup and emerging companies practice and advises both startups and investors.
Her experience includes advising:
· Foxtel – on various transactional and regulatory matters including its investment into Ten Network Holdings and its joint venture with Seven to provide a subscription video on demand service (Presto Entertainment).
· Samsung – on transactions including application development and content licence arrangements for multi-platform apps, the establishment and termination of key content services and various regulatory and consumer matters.
· SWIFT – on its successful bid to design, build and operate the New Payments Platform infrastructure for fast low value payments in Australia.
· A number of leading Australian and multinational organisations and startups, on privacy and data security regulatory issues and breaches.
· Tripadvisor – on its acquisition of Dimmi, a restaurant booking platform.
· One of Reinventure’s (Westpac’s VC fund’s) startup companies.
· NSW Department of Finance Services – on the NSW Government’s data centre reform program which involved the construction of two new purpose built data centres and the provision of facilities management services.
· nbn – on various regulatory and corporate governance matters, including on facilities access arrangements for the roll-out of its wireless network.
· Sydney Trains – on its A$100 million outdoor advertising concession arrangements.
· Vodafone Hutchison Australia – on significant commercial telecoms and technology transactions, including outsourcing to a new whole-of-business IT managed services provider, aspects of its network business following its merger, the dissolution of the 3GIS joint venture, its dealer reorganisation and its data centre restructure.
Valeska was described by Australasian Lawyer in 2015 as ‘one of the country’s leading TMT lawyers’ and a ‘Woman to Watch’.
Valeska has a Master of Laws in IT, media and communications from UNSW. She is also co-editor of the Communications Law Bulletin and author of the Radiocommunications chapter and co-author of the Internet Law chapter (forthcoming) of Thomson Reuters’ Laws of Australia publication.
Valeska is a core member of the firm’s Inclusion and Diversity Council and the firm’s Reconciliation Action Plan committee